Why is BJJ a better martial arts for kids?
It’s important to note that there is no definitive “best” martial art for children, as different martial arts offer various benefits and suit different preferences and goals. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is certainly one option to consider, but whether it’s better than other martial arts depends on factors such as the child’s personality, physical abilities, and interests, as well as the goals of their training.
That being said, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu does have some qualities that can make it a good choice for children:
- Focus on Technique and Strategy: BJJ emphasizes technique, leverage, and strategy over raw strength, which can be beneficial for children who might not have developed full physical strength yet. This can also promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills as they learn to use their body effectively.
- Minimal Striking: BJJ primarily involves grappling and submission techniques rather than striking. This can make it a safer option for children who might not be ready to engage in striking-based martial arts, reducing the risk of injury.
- Self-Defense and Confidence: BJJ teaches practical self-defense skills, which can boost a child’s confidence and sense of personal security. Knowing that they can protect themselves in certain situations can be empowering.
- Physical Fitness and Coordination: BJJ training involves a lot of movement, rolling, and positional transitions, which can improve a child’s physical fitness, coordination, and overall body awareness.
- Respect and Discipline: Many BJJ academies emphasize respect for instructors, training partners, and the art itself. Children can learn important values like discipline, humility, and teamwork through BJJ training.
- Non-Competitive Options: While BJJ does offer competitive opportunities, many BJJ schools also focus on non-competitive aspects, allowing children to enjoy the physical and mental benefits of training without the pressure of constant competition.
- Inclusivity: BJJ often has a welcoming and inclusive community, which can be important for children’s social development and building friendships.
However, it’s crucial to remember that no martial art is inherently better than another; it’s about finding the right fit for the individual child. Before enrolling your child in any martial art, consider visiting local schools, talking to instructors, and even allowing your child to observe a class to see if they’re interested and comfortable with the training environment.
Ultimately, the best martial art for a child is one that aligns with their interests, goals, and personality, while also taking into account factors such as safety, proper instruction, and the values you want them to learn. At Lake Effect Martial Arts, we teach values, good habits and through formed habits we then teach virtues. What we teach makes us unique and the leader of the pack when it comes to martial arts instruction in the Western New York area. Our children’s program in one of a kind and are absolutely confident its a good fit for most children. We’ve set the standard and have taught most children’s instructors in our Buffalo area at this point. Contact us today by phone at 716-395-3451 or shoot us an email at [email protected] to schedule a free trial class for your child(ren).
We proudly offer two locations in both Depew New York and Hamburg New York.
Coach Cole and Professor Michael